Playing 9 in Blackjack
If you're dealt a pat 19, you feel pretty confident with your odds against the dealer, don't you? There's no reason to not feel confident, a 19 is a hand that has a positive return regardless of what the dealer is showing.
The question that arises because of this is as follows: what if you have a 9? The odds of drawing a 10 or A are 5/13 or 38.4%, very good odds in the game of Blackjack. So it's a good possibility that you will be drawing to a 19, or even a 20. Given this scenario, should you double down? As always, we will look at this assuming that you are playing in a multiple deck game where the dealer stands on a soft 17.
Standing on a 9 is definitely out of the question since any card that you draw will improve your hand. Our options then are either hitting or doubling down. Let's start with hitting.
- If the dealer is showing a 2, over a long enough period of time, you will average a $0.07 return for every dollar you invest in the hand.
- For 3 through 6, you will have a $0.10 to $0.20 return.
- On the dealer's 7 there is a $0.17 return and on 8, a $0.10 return.
- 9 through A has a negative return of $0.05 to $0.15 on the dollar.
Now let's compare those numbers to doubling down in order to determine which is more fruitful.
- Doubling when the dealer has a 2 exposed has a return of $0.06, a penny less than hitting. Hitting is definitely the way to go in this case.
- For 3 through 6 the return is $0.12 to $0.32. In this instance, doubling down makes a good deal more sense (and cents!) over the long run.
- 7 has a $0.10 return, again, much less than the return on hitting.
- There is a return of -$0.02 on the dealer's 8, so you want to avoid doubling.
- 9 through A has a large negative return of $0.30 to $0.43 on the dollar. To minimize damage, you will want to hit.
So here's the rundown: double a 9 ONLY when the dealer has a 3 through 6 exposed, otherwise hit.
Best Blackjack Bonuses
These bonuses allow you to play blackjack to clear the bonuses wagering requirements.
- Play Now
- BitStarz Casino
100% Up To $/€100 + 180 Casino Spins
BTC= Bitcoin. 100% bonus up to €100 or 1 BTC. PLUS 180 Free Spins. Slots: Boomanji, Fruit Zen or Starburst. . First 20 is credited 23 hours after first deposit and then 20 more 24 hours later. This will go on for 9 straight day until you get a total of 180! Players from the following countries are not eligible for any promotional offer: Greece (GR), Hungary (HU), Mauritius (MU), Slovenia (SI), Croatia (HR), Bosnia and Herzegovina (BA), Macedonia, Republic of (MK), Montenegro (ME), Finland (FI) and Serbia (RS)
- Oshi Casino
100% Up To €125 + 180 Casino Spins
New players only. 100% match bonus + 180 free spins. 20 per day for 9 days. Bonus up to 1.25 BTC / 125 EUR / 200 AUD / 125 USD / 1,250 SEK + NOK / 9,000 RUB. Minimum deposit 0.0007BTC / 10 EUR / 10 AUD / 10 USD / 100 SEK + NOK / 700 RUB. Some slots add 50% or 75% to your wagering requirement. Poker (non-casino) card games, video poker, Roulette add 5% to your wagering/playthrough turnover.
100% Up To €/AU$/$100
Max bet size on any game is €15. 45 X turnover requirement. This bonus is not available to players in the following countries: Belarus, Bulgaria, Moldova, Ukraine, Romania, Russia. Bonus will expire 3 days after activation and must be used/completed in this time. Your bonus will be automatically inactivated if you make a bet over €20 or less unless specified in the specific bonus conditions.
More on How to play Blackjack
- Playing A-A vs A
- Playing A-2 vs 6
- Playing A-3 vs 2
- Playing A-4 vs 3
- Playing A-4 vs 7
- Playing A-5 vs 2
- Playing A-5 vs 5
- Playing A-5 vs 7
- Playing A-6 vs 6
- Playing A-7 vs 2
- Playing A-7 vs 4
- Playing A-7 vs 7
- Playing A-7 vs 9
- Playing 2-2 vs 7
- Playing 3-3 vs 3
- Playing 4-4 vs 6
- Playing 6-6 vs 2
- Playing 7-7 vs 7
- Playing 9-9 vs 7-8
- Playing 10-10 vs 5
- Playing 8 vs 6
- Playing 8 vs 5
- Playing 9 vs 7
- Playing 9 vs 6
- Playing 9 vs 2
- Playing 10 vs 9
- Playing 11 vs 7
- Playing 12 vs 2
- Playing 12 vs 3
- Playing 12 vs 4
- Playing 12 vs 6
- Playing 13 vs 2
- Playing 13 vs 7
- Playing 15 vs 10
- Playing 15 vs 6
- Playing 15 vs 9
- Playing 16 vs 10
- Playing 16 vs 7
- Playing 16 vs 9
- Playing 17 vs A
- Playing Ace Seven in Blackjack
- Playing Two's in Blackjack (222)
- Playing Three's in Blackjack (3-3)
- Playing Eight's in Blackjack (8-8)
- Playing Nine in Blackjack
- Playing Ten in Blackjack
- Playing Thirteen through Sixteen in Blackjack (13, 14, 15, 16)