Playing A7 in Blackjack
Ace-seven is by far the most difficult hand for the professional blackjack player to handle. Depending on what the dealer is showing, you will either hit, stand, or double down.
Basic Strategy tells us that we should double if the dealer is showing 3 through 6, stand on 2, 7, and 8, and hit on 9, 10, and A. This may come as a shock to some since common sense tells us to stay with an 18 regardless of what the dealer has. Let's look at the math behind the strategy.
First, we must look at A-7 as a plain old 18. Basic Strategy dictates that we stand on a pat 18 regardless of what the dealer is showing; we want to get to 17 or higher and then let Lady Luck determine the outcome. This isn't necessarily the case for a soft 18.
- If the dealer is showing a 2, the return on an 18 is $.12 for each dollar invested.
- For 3 through 6, this jumps up ranging from $0.40 to $0.50 per dollar.
- 7 is also $0.40.
- At 8, it goes back down to $0.11.
- 9 through A plummets into a negative return of $0.18 to $0.10 loss per dollar.
So is it really worthwhile to go against the common sense factor and hit an 18 if the dealer is showing 9-A?
- Hitting A-7 on a dealers 9 gives us a negative return of $0.10,
- 10 a negative return of $0.14, and
- Ace a negative return of $0.09.
The spread here, while not seeming like much, is less than the -$0.18 to -$0.10 return of staying. To minimize the damage, hitting on these cards is a necessity.
Doubling is the third option with this hand. In this case, you count the hand as an 8 and pray for a 9 or 10, or you count it as an 18 and hope for an Ace through 3.
First of all, doubling when the dealer is showing:
- 9 through A gives us a -$0.29 to -$0.36 return, far greater of a loss than hitting. So doubling on those cards is out of the question.
- Doubling on 8 is also a negative return (-$0.03), whereas it's a positive return to hit. Again, out of the question.
- Doubling on 7 is a positive return of $0.22, which is less than the $0.40 you will get with staying. If the dealer is showing a 7, it makes economic sense to stand.
- Doubling on the dealer's 2 is also $0.12 return, but it is less than a cent less difference of a return than standing. In the long run, this adds up to major dollars, believe me. You will want to stay rather than risking the double in this case.
- That leaves 3 through 6. The math here gets tricky, so pay careful attention. The numbers above regarding standing on 18 don't take into account the power of the Ace. As you know, the Ace can be counted as either a 1 or an 11, and because of this, hitting on A-7 is not nearly as dangerous as hitting a pat 18. In fact, the 23% (3/13) chance of drawing a card to better your 18 makes the diminished return on doubling the right move.
While the return ranges from $0.18 to $0.38 (compared to the $0.40 to $0.50 of staying), the 23% odds of improving plus the doubled amount of money pumped into the hand make doubling the most profitable choice.
Best Blackjack Bonuses
These bonuses allow you to play blackjack to clear the bonuses wagering requirements.
- Play Now
- BitStarz Casino
100% Up To $/€100 + 180 Casino Spins
BTC= Bitcoin. 100% bonus up to €100 or 1 BTC. PLUS 180 Free Spins. Slots: Boomanji, Fruit Zen or Starburst. . First 20 is credited 23 hours after first deposit and then 20 more 24 hours later. This will go on for 9 straight day until you get a total of 180! Players from the following countries are not eligible for any promotional offer: Greece (GR), Hungary (HU), Mauritius (MU), Slovenia (SI), Croatia (HR), Bosnia and Herzegovina (BA), Macedonia, Republic of (MK), Montenegro (ME), Finland (FI) and Serbia (RS)
- Oshi Casino
100% Up To €125 + 180 Casino Spins
New players only. 100% match bonus + 180 free spins. 20 per day for 9 days. Bonus up to 1.25 BTC / 125 EUR / 200 AUD / 125 USD / 1,250 SEK + NOK / 9,000 RUB. Minimum deposit 0.0007BTC / 10 EUR / 10 AUD / 10 USD / 100 SEK + NOK / 700 RUB. Some slots add 50% or 75% to your wagering requirement. Poker (non-casino) card games, video poker, Roulette add 5% to your wagering/playthrough turnover.
100% Up To €/AU$/$100
Max bet size on any game is €15. 45 X turnover requirement. This bonus is not available to players in the following countries: Belarus, Bulgaria, Moldova, Ukraine, Romania, Russia. Bonus will expire 3 days after activation and must be used/completed in this time. Your bonus will be automatically inactivated if you make a bet over €20 or less unless specified in the specific bonus conditions.
More on How to play Blackjack
- Playing A-A vs A
- Playing A-2 vs 6
- Playing A-3 vs 2
- Playing A-4 vs 3
- Playing A-4 vs 7
- Playing A-5 vs 2
- Playing A-5 vs 5
- Playing A-5 vs 7
- Playing A-6 vs 6
- Playing A-7 vs 2
- Playing A-7 vs 4
- Playing A-7 vs 7
- Playing A-7 vs 9
- Playing 2-2 vs 7
- Playing 3-3 vs 3
- Playing 4-4 vs 6
- Playing 6-6 vs 2
- Playing 7-7 vs 7
- Playing 9-9 vs 7-8
- Playing 10-10 vs 5
- Playing 8 vs 6
- Playing 8 vs 5
- Playing 9 vs 7
- Playing 9 vs 6
- Playing 9 vs 2
- Playing 10 vs 9
- Playing 11 vs 7
- Playing 12 vs 2
- Playing 12 vs 3
- Playing 12 vs 4
- Playing 12 vs 6
- Playing 13 vs 2
- Playing 13 vs 7
- Playing 15 vs 10
- Playing 15 vs 6
- Playing 15 vs 9
- Playing 16 vs 10
- Playing 16 vs 7
- Playing 16 vs 9
- Playing 17 vs A
- Playing Ace Seven in Blackjack
- Playing Two's in Blackjack (222)
- Playing Three's in Blackjack (3-3)
- Playing Eight's in Blackjack (8-8)
- Playing Nine in Blackjack
- Playing Ten in Blackjack
- Playing Thirteen through Sixteen in Blackjack (13, 14, 15, 16)