• Carve Outs In UIGEA Means Racetracks Can Offer Online Gambling To Non-US Citizens

    23 May 2007


    Bob Evans, CEO of Churchill Downs, told a group at their business luncheon that Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby could be the ‘new online casinos in the future catering to non-US citizens’.

    Mr. Evans said his company is allowed to have an online presence because of the exemption for Internet horse wagering put in the UIGEA. He emphasized his company would be allowed to offer casino and gambling games outside of horse racing if they offered them to non-US citizens.

    “Given the fact that the Kentucky Derby (and) Churchill Downs… are world renowned brands, why wouldn’t we use those brands to enter into businesses that are outside our traditional core of thoroughbred racing,” Evans said.

    These comments are inflammatory, given the US stance on the WTO ruling which sided against the US and in favor of Antigua. The US response to that ruling was to say they never intended to include gambling in the fair trade agreement, that they hold their position that online gambling is morally wrong and is not a service available to anyone in the US therefore not a reciprocal trade item.

    Great Britain should be up in arms! The US has almost single-handedly destroyed the legal gaming sector in the UK, put hundreds of people out of work, confiscated millions of dollars in customer and company funds, arrested its citizens operating lawfully in the UK and this twit tells a business group that they, a US corporation, can legally operate a casino in the UK if they want to due to the carve outs awarded them in the UIGEA.

    Your move, England.

    Related News

    • Microgamings progressive slots paid more than 150 million in 2018

      Slot Winners

      Microgaming's Progressive Slots Paid More Than €150 Million in 2018Jesse Eddleman05 February 2019

      One of the things that Microgaming is most known for is its great selection of top-tier progressive slots. They have some other types of games with progressive jackpots mixed in, but it's the slots that make up the vast majority of the winnings. In 2018, their progressive jackpots paid out more than €150 million in total and set a world record along the way. Breaking Jackpot Records Mega Moolah previously held the world record for the largest online jackpot ever.

      Read full article
    • Cherry ab to acquire all but 5  of game lounge ltd

      Gambling News

      Cherry AB to Acquire All But 5% of Game Lounge LtdLars22 December 2017

      Cherry AB (STO:CHER-B), the owners of Yggdrasil Gaming and ComeOn Casino announced today that they have decided to exercise their option to purchase up to 100% of the shares of internet marketing and affiliate company, Game Lounge Ltd. Cherry Malta Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary, already purchased 51% of the company in January 2015. The present purchase represents 44% more which will give them a then current total of 95% of all shares.

      Read full article
    • Russia uigea bill

      Gambling News

      Russia Takes UIGEA-Like Approach Against Online Gambling19 October 2015

      The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act in the United States, known as the UIGEA for short, absolutely crippled the industry by attacking the financial transactions for the sites in a way that was very difficult for players to get around. Now the Russian government is showing a lot of support for a similar bill that will have banks facing stiff fines and other punishments for processing payments for illegal online gambling. How This Bill Would Work

      Read full article